Pumpkin Cider Bread
Lately I have seen numerous recipes for pumpkin ale bread, but given that we just bought some pumpkin cider, I thought making pumpkin cider bread would be a fun, and slightly sweeter twist on the pumpkin ale bread. I was really impressed at how my experimentation came out. This bread was super moist, flavorful, and low-fat.
I frequently get cravings for pumpkin bread this time of year, and I have strong memories of a delicious pumpkin bread I tasted at a friend’s house when I was a kid. I’m not sure if my memories about it have been blown out of proportion with time and nostalgia, but most of the time I am disappointed when I taste pumpkin breads. However, this bread was much closer to my pumpkin bread memories than anything I’ve tasted recently, and it definitely satisfied my most recent craving for pumpkin bread … for the time being at least!
Pumpkin Cider Bread
- 1 1/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablesoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (recipe to make your own)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup pumpkin pie filling (I would have used pumpkin puree, but the grocery store was out)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin cider
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease 9″ bread loaf with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, sift together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine pumpkin, brown sugar, and butter. Then mix until just combined. Add in eggs, one at a time, and vanilla. Stir in pumpkin cider.
- Make a well in the dry mixture and slowly add wet mixture to dry mixture, stirring constantly until combined, but do not overmix.
- Pour into greased loaf pan and top with slivered almonds.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Make sure to let cool thoroughly before slicing!
*Can be kept up to 3 days at room temperature, well wrapped in aluminum foil.