What should you do with a bag of leftover hazelnuts? Make homemade Nutella, of course! After I realized how easy it was to make homemade nut butters, I am planning on doing my own experimentation with a variety of nuts and flavorings.
My homemade Nutella didn’t quite taste like the real thing. Dustin said it wasn’t quite as sweet (which I guess could be remedied by adding more powdered sugar), but we both actually like this version just the way it was in it’s own right.
You can process it until completely smooth like jarred Nutella, or you can stop just short of that state, so that you have some chunks of hazelnuts. Just as you can buy creamy or chunky peanut butter, you can make creamy or chunky Nutella!
This chocolatey spread tastes great atop honey graham crackers or even just plain whole-wheat toast with a side of banana!
Homemade Nutellayields ~1 1/4 cups
- 3/4 cup hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- Place the hazelnuts in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Add in cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and vegetable oil, and keep processing.
- Slowly add in the milk, and process until desired texture is reached.