I really enjoyed the panzanella we made last summer, and looking for a fresh twist on the dish this time around, I decided to make it with cornbread rather than a crusty white bread. I didn’t exactly like any of the recipes I found online, so I combined elements from several different salads and just sort of winged it. I don’t usually get too nervous about how things are going to turn out, but I really did in this instance. I tried to keep my expectation pretty low for this dish.
I’m pleased to report that it turned out way more delicious than I could have ever imagined. And Dustin ate a very generous helping, so I think we were on the same page.
First I made cornbread, loosely covered it with foil and let it stale for about 24 hours. You could definitely use a store-bought cornbread, but I was really excited to use the corn flour I had in the cabinet to make some homemade cornbread.
yields 1 9″x9″ pan
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup corn flour
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- Preheat the oven to 375º. Spray a 9″x9″ baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine the butter, sugar, honey, eggs, and buttermilk in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the baking soda, salt, flours, and cornmeal.
- Slowly add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, stirring until just incorporated.
- Pour into the greased baking dish and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out cleanly.
- Allow to throughly cool in the pan before removing and slicing.
yield 4 servings
- 1 batch of cornbread, cut into bite sized cubes
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup mozzarella balls, halved
- 1/2 cup freeze dried corn
- 1 avocado, chopped
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- dressing, recipe below
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Mist cornbread cubes with olive oil or cooking spray.
- Toast cornbread cubes on a baking sheet for 15 minutes, turning half way through. Allow to cool slightly.
- Toss the cooled cornbread cubes with black beans, tomatoes, mozzarella, freeze dried corn, and avocado.
- Drizzle on dressing.
makes enough to serve 4
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a bottle and shake vigorously.